PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

1.20.2014

An Arrangement to Admire: A Desk Behind a Sofa

So, about once every 3 months I get the urge to leave my current living situation. I love the set up of my tiny bachelorette, but it means sharing a building and kitchen with 5 other girls...which can get much messier than I can handle. The reality is the price is right and my personal apartment portion (livingroom/bedroom/office area with large bathroom and walk-in closet) is lovely. I probably will not move until I graduate from Interior Design school, but right now, I've got the itch bad. Probably has something to do with the large pile of dishes in the sink that I'm waiting for the culprit to wash.

 When I start day dreaming about this new hypothetical apartment (where the kitchen is all mine), I know it will most likely have to be a one bedroom (or another studio style space) due to cost. Where am I going to put my necessary desk area? The answer I favour the most lately is putting it behind the couch.
For now I invite you all to day dream a bit about this set up with me:
Joe Nye via House Beautiful
^ Can be used as an additional serving surface when guests are over!
via Emily Henderson
Loeffler Randall via Domino
via Source42
Jess Lively via Pretty Fluffy
Could be dangerous though...the TV would be in direct eye line! Self discipline at it's finest.
Happy week my loves!
xox

Photobucket

12 comments:

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...[Reply]

I've always liked the look and function of slipping a desk behind a sofa but you are right...reality tv would have to be cancelled for me to get anything done!

Jackie said...[Reply]

Hah, so true about the TV! I love this setup. I've always liked the idea of a console table behind the couch, with baskets underneath and a lamp/stack of books on the table, and a desk is even better in terms of functionality.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...[Reply]

Nick Olsen did a studio apartment that was in HB a few years back. The room, kitchen and all, was teeny tiny and it is still one of my all time favorite jobs - big or small - of all time.

Lesley Metcalfe said...[Reply]

I love this look! I would totally try it if I had the space. I'm also recently into the idea of having the bed in the middle of the bedroom with a desk behind the headboard - Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character in the movie Don Jon had this set-up and though unusual, it's a really fresh and different way to use the space.

Mas said...[Reply]

Ugh, roommates, that can be stressful stuff. When I had 10 (!) roommates at once and the kitchen was constantly messy I would dream about this sort of stuff. I love this set-up, it's something I would try to do if my living room was large enough.

Mas said...[Reply]

Ugh, roommates, that can be stressful stuff. When I had 10 (!) roommates at once and the kitchen was constantly messy I would dream about this sort of stuff. I love this set-up, it's something I would try to do if my living room was large enough.

Brooke said...[Reply]

I love this look!! I've been wishing I had the space behind my couch to do this without blocking the whole walk area. Very true about the tv though! lol

Amanda said...[Reply]

I am living by myself for the first time during college and it's incredible :) No more dirty dishes piled up! I'm working on redecorating my parent's living room and I debated about putting the desk behind the sofa! I still might.

hammerandheels.blogspot.com

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...[Reply]

I have done it before! I'm hoping to do it when we move! I can use our sofa table or my mirrored Lady's desk! And my Sexy Sadie Chair with work with either one.

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...[Reply]

Love that look and I wish I'd have room for it in my home

Vanessa@decor happy said...[Reply]

Oh yes roommates - I vaguely remember that during university. Absolutely hated it! I'm sure you will have a beautiful space of your own before you know it!

Unknown said...[Reply]

oh, life with roomies. I don't miss that at all. I used to do that as well...wait for the dishes to be washed because I know NONE of those plates are mine, lol.

I love this look. As much as I love having my own little office, I hate missing out on what's going on in the living room (with my BF) so it's a great way to work and still be close to your honey (I'm cheesy, I know).