PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

9.30.2013

Term Four Final Project (& Tips for Creating your own Design Boards)

I did it! I survived my fourth project week.
This one was a big one - Each term more is expected of us as our knowledge base grows. I can't believe I'm officially 1/3 done my degree already. How time flies!
Today I thought I would share my final project and some tips for creating professional looking design boards (for all those fellow design students following my blog! xo)
 1. Be consistent. All of your boards should look exactly the same if you were to take all of your images off of them. I like to prepare my boards with a grey background (complimentary to almost anything & allows your work to shine) and a second pop of colour that goes with the scheme of my design. In this case a fresh, minty green.
2.Don't overcrowd your boards. It will overwhelm the viewer and look messy! Also, everything you put on your board should be mounted on a piece of foam core to create dimension and layers. Shout out to the lovely Steph Sterjovski- I used her picture as the perfect 'mint shopper' inspiration!
3. Your first board should always outline your design concept. Use a small group of images & the concept statement. I also like to highlight the three key words that illustrate the feeling I am trying to create with my design.
4. Use a title block at the bottom of each board with your name & class title, board title, and board number.
 5. Your renderings should be the stars of the show. They will pop more if they are surrounded by a black boarder.
 6. Try not to put all of your boards together in one day or by your eighth board things might start getting a little crooked and sloppy (see above ^).

 7. Always dress to match your boards. Just do it.
Warnings: Doing these boards is costly, time consuming, and will result in major 'designer bags'...and not the good kind of designer bags. I'm talking the ones under your eyes here people. Proof is in the pudding:
I'm very proud of how far I've come in one short year!! I can't imagine where I will be when I graduate. This week I am visiting my parents in Waterloo before term 5 starts on October 7th!
xoxo
Photobucket

22 comments:

Natalie said...[Reply]

Amazing, Tiffany!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...[Reply]

I don't see any bags girlfriend! The boards are great and look super time-consuming!

Unknown said...[Reply]

Those are stunning!!!! Congrats on being 1/3 of the way done :)
Brittany
www.classicallyb.com

Unknown said...[Reply]

What a fantastic project and so much work and it's so professional! Im so proud of you Tiff!
Great job.
xo Nancy

Unknown said...[Reply]

Fantastic tips and your boards are so polished and smart. Great job!

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Tiffany it looks fabulous! And these are some great tips :) love the dress to match your boards idea :) enjoy your little break, you deserve it!

Alexa said...[Reply]

Oh great tips and your boards look like works of art! Amazing!

Venice said...[Reply]

You are one talented young lady! This is so awesome!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...[Reply]

Good work girlfriend! Now enjoy some time off!

RestonDogHouse said...[Reply]

Tiffany, these are so well done. You have such a handle on what you're doing and what your goals are, good job! Keep going, and congratulations on your achievements so far. I love following your blog and love seeing your work. :)

Jackie said...[Reply]

How cool! Those look so gorgeous and fun to put together (although I can see how doing 8 would get a little exhausting after a while). You did a great job. Did you draw those renderings? They're fabulous, I wouldn't mind one framed on my wall!

Unknown said...[Reply]

Congrats Tiffany! Your work is amazing as usual. Love your renderings. xo

Albertina M. Cisneros said...[Reply]

these are so great! You can tell all the ahrdwork you put into them. yeay! Enjoy your days of rest!

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...[Reply]

Awesome work! You are so talented and you will be so successful. Anybody can see that in your work!

Michaela said...[Reply]

Ah! Such a labor of love. So, so, so good! You should be very proud!!! :)

carey me on my way said...[Reply]

as a fellow interior design student, i love your posts with your work. my school is much more technical and concept-based so we focus less on the technique of our drawings so i love to learn from yours!

Unknown said...[Reply]

That is really very stunning.
It will help me as i am in RTM Homes business.

Jessica said...[Reply]

wow.
this blows my old student work out of the water.
seriously amazing.love it.

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Awesome job! You are really talented!

Amberly
asliceofglam.com

Language of Color & Texture said...[Reply]

This is a great post and your talent is evident! Hope you have a holiday break to get some rest. Design school is a lot of work. All the best to you

Elisa @ Crazy, Amazing Life said...[Reply]

oh, what bags? You look lovely!

And WOW, your work is... just... I have no words, it is ju simply incredible! I would definitely shop there! In fact I might just move in ;-)

Unknown said...[Reply]

RegardsYour blog is absolutely fantastic. Good work..