PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

4.08.2013

Framed Butterflies: Love or Hate

Way back in November I talked about how much I adored this space that Ray Staples designed in the 80s because it truly stood the test of time:
via Style at Home
 One of the other (many) reasons why I love it is the gorgeous butterfly taxidermy art hanging above the sofa.
I also love this picture from Lonny (as spied on A Storied Style's post about her butterfly find at Home Goods):
via Lonny
Grace had good luck at Home Goods, and I had good luck here at Home Sense (which is the Canadian equivalent...same company!) where I scored this beautiful piece:
And at this price, I was more than happy to get it (knowing that real framed butterflies are often expensive). Now I just need to find the perfect spot for it!

I didn't realize at the time of my purchase, however, that there is a bit of controversy over butterfly taxidermy. I was looking for some inspiration and stumbled across a post about framed butterflies on Little Green Notebook. Some of the comments cited the practice as creepy and/or cruel. I was actually surprised by the negative reactions.
I was wondering where you guys sit on the debate. 
I still love it. Butterflies do not live very long (I have heard an average of 2 weeks) and so I think that this is a great way to preserve and enjoy their natural beauty for years. Also, there are many butterfly farms that collect butterflies that have died of natural causes for this purpose. And to be honest, I would feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I said I disapproved because I sit on leather couches and I eat meat and I have killed a spider or two. 
So what do you think...Love or Hate?
And as always, be nice! xox
Photobucket

15 comments:

Megan@TwoDelighted said...[Reply]

So cute! What a great deal. I am with you on the butterfly controversy. I am sure I do a lot worse things than that every day.

Natasha said...[Reply]

I really like how it looks. I've always wondered where they come from. If they're collected after they're dead then I have no problem with it, but it seems cruel to kill them to put on your wall. I found out that silk worms are usually killed while still in their cocoons and I was so surprised.

Brittany said...[Reply]

I LOVE framed butterflies!! That first picture is absolutely amazing and is now on my long list of 'things I want but probably won't be able to afford for my dream house' ;)

PS a few months ago I found two real framed butterflies at the Goodwill and I felt like I had hit the jackpot!

STARDUST said...[Reply]

Butterflies are indeed beautiful and it's spectacular seeing them flying! :)I don't find it creepy to frame it however, it's just that a photo or illustration would work better for me!

Hannah said...[Reply]

Amazing find! I agree with you as well, if people are going to be that upset about it then they better back it up in all other aspects of their life and be vegan. I can respect that, but don't be a hypocrite and say it's cruel when you eat meat every day.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

Brooke @ Inside-Out Design said...[Reply]

LOVE. I totally agree with your take on it. I would think it was cruel if I found out my art had been made by someone skewering live butterflies to a canvass, but I don't see anything wrong with preserving them once they've died of natural causes. and I think butterfly art is gorgeous.

The Famous Home said...[Reply]

I think I'd rather see butterfly taxidermy than some of the larger animal taxidermy I've been seeing lately.

The Famous Home

Alexa said...[Reply]

As long as they are already dead, they are incredibly beautiful...nature's own work of art! :)

Anonymous said...[Reply]

Looks like everyone is pretty much in agreement as am I. I think the butterflies are lovely, and why not keep them as a keepsake and preserve their beauty??

Claire

Julia@Cuckoo4Design said...[Reply]

Wow, they actually had real framed butterflies at HomeGood/Sense? What a find!
I do understand why people are against it but they sure are beautiful and I would hang them up too.

Holly Foxen Wells of Glamour Mash said...[Reply]

Oh My! I had no idea there was heated debate behind it either! I'm sure anyone that has ever bought a framed butterfly piece never really thought about the back story behind where they came from and whether any cruelty was behind it. I like that there are farms that collect the dead butterflies of course, but I would never ever knock anyone that bought a framed piece not knowing the background of where the butterflies came from... I would love to have a piece for myself someday!

xx
Holly Foxen Wells
GlamourMash

Vanessa@decor happy said...[Reply]

I'm somewhere in the middle - neither love nor hate. But the controversy is a bit surprising - I wouldn't have thought that.

Hild said...[Reply]

One of the other (many) reasons why I love it is the gorgeous butterfly taxidermy art hanging above the sofa. I also love this picture from Lonny ... framedbutterflyart.blogspot.com

Unknown said...[Reply]

Love what you have done with the designs. Check out more butterflies in frames http://www.naturalhistorydirect.com/collections/framed-butterflies

Unknown said...[Reply]

Thank-you for bringing this to the interior design world's attention! Unfortunately trends like this mean that hundreds of thousands of butterflies are caught and killed for their beauty every year (they almost never die of natural causes like people think)!

There is no mistaking that butterflies are beautiful but I much prefer beauty without the best. As a group of nature and art lovers we have created a solution at the Butterfly Art Shop and create paper butterflies that are bigger, brighter and stronger than taxidermy butterflies that are 100% Vegan.

Www.Thebutterflyartshop.com
https://m.facebook.com/TheButterflyArtShop/